Not sure if this is still valid 🙂 but its been a busy start to December (Sincere apologies for the mini hiatus). On a brighter note, this is my favourite time of the year (apart of the cold weather). A time to celebrate the birth of Jesus, share with the less fortunate and spend time with family. I have particularly enjoyed decorating our first Christmas tree and baking Christmas themed cakes for friends and clients😄😄😄😄. What do you enjoy about this season and how do you like to spend your Christmas ?????
Snowflaked Red velvet Cupcakes
- 150g. Cake flour
- ½tsp. Baking soda
- 4tsp. Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½tsp. Salt
- 57g. Unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 160g. Caster sugar
- 110ml. Sunflower oil
- 1 Egg
- 1Tbsp. Vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. White vinegar
- Red gel food coloring
- 120ml. Buttermilk (room temperature)
- 100g. full-fat cream cheese ( room temperature)
- 75g. Unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 200g. Icing sugar
- 1tsp. Madagascan Vanilla syrup
- Blue gel food colouring
Let’s get started
- Prep the cake tins and set the preheat the oven at 180ºc.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into a big bowl. Use a whisk to mix and set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar until it is smooth (using a hand or electric mixer).
- Gradually add the eggs until everything is fully incorporated (make sure you are scraping down the sides of the bowl to avoid waste)
- Whist the mixer is still on – add the oil, vinegar, vanilla extract and buttermilk (note: this should be added one after the other)
- Gradually incorporate the flour mixture (you’ll probably need to do this 2 or 3 times to avoid waste)
- Add the gel food colouring and mix for 1-2 mins
- Place your batter into the prepped cake pan and bake at 180ºc for 20 mins
Cream cheese frosting
- Using a mixer, beat butter and cream cheese together on medium speed (for 1 min)
- Gradually add the icing sugar (scraping down the sides of the bowl to avoid waste)
- Add the blue gel food colouring and mix for another 5 mins.
- Use a piping bag and your desired nozzle to decorate the cake as you desire
- Sprinkle snowflakes – I bought my snowflakes from Asda
Do let me know how you have found this recipe 🙂