I became aware of Pumpkin dessert this Autumn. Prior to this, the Pumpkin fruit turned into Cinderella’s carriage and people tend to use it for decorations during Hallowen. Being Nigerian born, Halloween isn’t celebrated (per cultural & religious beliefs) and I don’t think this fruit grows in Sub-Saharan Africa.
To satisfy my curiosity and since Thanksgiving is around the corner, I have decided to try my first Pumpkin Pie
Prep time: 2hr 30mins (including pastry making)│Cook time: 30-35mins│Serves: 8 people
- 150g. Plain flour
- Pinch of Salt
- ½tbsp. Caster dugar
- 2-4tbsp. Cold water
- 1can. Pumpkin
- 1can. Evaporated milk
- 80g. Brown Sugar
- ½tsp. Cinnamon
- ½tsp. Nutmeg
- ½tsp. Ginger
Let’s get started:-
- Using a mixer (standing/hand mixer), mix the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and mix together until it has a coarse texture
- Gradually add the cold water (one after the other, you may not use up all the water).
- Mix everything together in low speed and your dough should be formed. Note: You want your dough to be moist not wet
- Gather the dough into a ball and place the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Use your hand to flatten into round shape.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
After 1 hour……………….
- Place baking sheet on a clean surface and lightly dust flour on the baking sheet.
- Put the dough on the floured baking sheet and add another baking sheet on the dough and roll the dough away from you (using the rolling pin)
- Continue to roll the dough in all directions until you have reached your desired size (This recipe is for a 9 inch pie pan)
- Transfer the dough into a pie pan; Fold over any excess dough and trim.
- Prick the crust with a fork and allow it to chill in the fridge for another 30 mins and your crust will be ready
Click HERE for a Pie Crust – step by step guide (with pictures)
- Set the oven to 200ºC
- Place pumpkin puree, sugar and spices into a large bowl, mix everything together.
Gradually add eggs and milk, mixing on medium speed
Pour the Pumpkin mix into the prepared pie crust and bake for 35mins
Once it is out of the oven, allow it cool down for 5 mins and your Pumpkin Pie is ready 🙂