Pastries are arguably my favourite form of dessert however, I have been apprehensive to try any recipe because they are dimmed to be difficult to make. Having spent time researching and testing various online recipes, I decided to learn how to make a ‘Pie Crust’.
The recipe below is a beginner’s guide with details and tips to help master the art of making pies.
- 150g. Plain flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 10tbsp Butter
- 2-4tbsp. Cold water
Let’s get started:-
Using a mixer (standing/hand mixer), mix the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and mix together until it has a coarse texture
Gradually add the cold water (one after the other, you may not use up all the water).
Mix everything together in low speed and your dough should be formed. Note: You want your dough to be moist not wet
Gather the dough into a ball and place the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Use your hand to flatten into round shape.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
After 1 hour……………….
Place baking sheet on a clean surface and lightly dust flour on the baking sheet.
Put the dough on the floured baking sheet and add another baking sheet on the dough and roll the dough away from you (using the rolling pin)
Continue to roll the dough in all directions until you have reached your desired size (This recipe is for a 9 inch pie pan)
Transfer the dough into a pie pan; Fold over any excess dough and trim.
Prick the crust with a fork and allow it to chill in the fridge for another 30 mins and your crust will be ready
Important things to note:
- If you are making fruit pies, you will need to double the recipe so you have two dough and follow the process above until you have rolled out your though. After this, you can use it to cover the fruit filling.
- If you will be making a custard filling, it is better to ‘Blind Bake’ the pie crust before adding your filling (explained further below)
Blind Baking means that you partially bake a pie crust before adding the filling to prevent sogginess:
- Fill a parchment paper with uncooked rice, dry beans or ceramic beans. Place it on the all-ready made pie pan and baking in a 218ºC oven for 15 mins
- Remove the parchment paper and bake the crust for another mins.
- Let it cool on a rack before filling.
I hope this is simple enough – Do let me know if you have found it useful