I’m back with another beginners recipe #mobakeseasycake with everyone’s favourite cake ‘Red Velvet Cake’. Honestly, if I conduct a survey on peoples favourite cake, I’m sure that the Red Velvet will come up as a favourite (at least top 3). This recipe (with minimum decoration) gives you a step by step guide on how to make a moist, rich and hassle-free cake.
- 345g. Cake flour
- 1tsp. Baking soda
- 2Tbsp. Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½tsp. Salt
- 115g. Unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 400g. Caster sugar
- 240ml. Sunflower oil
- 4 Eggs
- 1½ Tbsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. White vinegar
- Red gel food coloring
- 240ml. Buttermilk (room temperature)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 100g. full-fat cream cheese ( room temperature)
- 75g. Unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 200g. Icing sugar
- 1tsp. Madagascan Vanilla syrup
Important Things to consider:-
There are 2 specific things to consider when attempting to make this recipe. In my opinion, these things are extremely important to achieve a delectable/ upmarket Red velvet Cake.
Cake flour: This provides the perfect base the soft-crumbed texture you get in a Red Velvet Cake because it is lighter than the regular all-purpose flour. If you can’t find cake flour around you, you can place an order online: Click Here
Buttermilk – Helps to activate the baking soda to leaven the cake.
Let’s get started:-
- Prep the cake tins and set the preheat the oven at180ºc (350ºF).
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into a big bowl. Use a whisk to mix and set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar until it is smooth (using a hand or electric mixer).
- Gradually add the eggs until everything is fully incorporated (make sure you are scraping down the sides of the bowl to avoid waste)
- Whist the mixer is still on – add the oil, vinegar, vanilla extract and buttermilk (note: this should be added one after the other)
- Gradually incorporate the flour mixture (you’ll probably need to do this 2 or 3 times to avoid waste)
- Add the gel food colouring and mix for 1-2 mins
- Place your batter into the prepped cake pan and bake at 180ºc (350ºF) for 30-35mins
Cream cheese frosting
- Using a mixer, beat butter and cream cheese together on medium speed (for 1 min)
- Gradually add the icing sugar (scraping down the sides of the bowl to avoid waste)
- Using a large serrated knife, slice a thin layer off the tops of the cakes to create a flat surface (don’t throw the top of the cake as it will be used to decorate the cake).
- Place 1 cake layer on your cake stand or serving plate, evenly cover the top with frosting. Add the 2nd layer and spread remaining frosting all over the top.
- Crumble the thin pieces of cake you sliced off in a large bowl. Decorate the sides and top edges of the cake
- Garnish with strawberries (this is optional)