Happy Independence day to my fellow Nigerians. Trust you are all enjoying this beautiful day. Concluding with my ode to Nigeria (see previous post: Nigeria Puff Puff ) with a dessert I am calling Ogi Parfait (O’Parfait for short)
Ogi (Pap) is a Nigerian breakfast cereal which is made from corn. While Parfait (means ‘Perfect’ in French) is a dessert which originates from France. It is made by boiling cream, egg, sugar and syrup to create a custard-like puree. The American version sometimes includes granola, nuts, yogurt etc.
My take on this recipe using Ogi (Pap) combines the French and American versions to create a simple and healthy Nigerian dessert, which is suitable for people who are Lactose intolerant.
Cook time: 30 -60mins
- 100g. Powdered Ogi (White and Yellow )
- 200g. Water
- 1tsp. Vanilla
- Strawberry Sauce (Strawberry Sauce recipe)
- Toppings: Chopped hazelnut, Crushed Graham Crackers and Fresh Pineapple (cubed)
Let’s get started:-
Making the Ogi
- Pour white ogi, sugar, Vanilla syrup and water in a pan.
- Use a spatular to stir everything together and place it on medium heat.
- Continue stirring until you get a thick (custard like) consistency. NOTE: if the consistency is too thick, add a little bit of water until you are satisfied with the result.
- Remove the pan from the fire to cool for 10-15mins
Repeat the above process for the yellow ogi
Making the Parfait
- Pour yellow ogi into a wine glass/mason jar (any jar/glass of you choice
- Add strawberry sauce and 1/2 of the granola (in my case, i added the biscuit and hazelnut)
- Pour white ogi over the granola
- Add strawberry sauce, pineapple and the remaining topping
- Place it in the fridge to chill for 30mins to 1hr
You can be very flexible with your parfait recipe e.g. you can use one type of ogi or mix your ogi with yoghurt.
Let me know if you will be trying thos recipe. Happy to answer any questions or queries:)